1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Bantam Talk

    Why not register for an account?

    Not only can you then get fully involved in the community but you also get fewer ads

  3. Premium Membership now Available


    Please see this thread for more details

    Dismiss Notice

Corona virus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by king karl, Feb 15, 2020.

  1. StaffordBantam

    StaffordBantam Captain
    Moderator P.L. 20/21 Entrant Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    2,558
    Likes Received:
    4,113
    Without doubt, the opening of pubs (indoors) is going to be the ultimate test of the vaccines, especially as there will still be a significant proportion of pub goers yet to be vaccinated. Lots of people, without masks, in (in many cases) poorly ventilated rooms. If (and it's a big if) we pass that test, then I'd think we are almost home and dry.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Edin Nowhere

    Edin Nowhere Fringe Player

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    914
    Likes Received:
    1,216
    I might be going out on a limb here, but Pubs and Restaurants were open in the summer last year without much incident with no vaccines.
     
  3. StaffordBantam

    StaffordBantam Captain
    Moderator P.L. 20/21 Entrant Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    2,558
    Likes Received:
    4,113
    We do have lots of data on the vaccines and the 'variants of concern', but not enough to call it conclusive. It is a bit mixed, with some vaccines seeming to do better than others.

    However, the good news is that, so far, there is no real evidence that the vaccines are failing to prevent deaths even in cases of the 'variants of concern'.

    The 'autumn' booster will provide improved protection against these' variants of concern', after which we will move into the phase of learning to live with this virus, just like we do with flu.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. StaffordBantam

    StaffordBantam Captain
    Moderator P.L. 20/21 Entrant Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    2,558
    Likes Received:
    4,113
    You are right. However, there were significant restrictions in place (one way systems, very limited numbers etc.) and we did see an increase in cases as we moved towards the autumn (which may or may not have been down to the pubs).

    This time pubs opening indoors are part of just a few restrictions lifting, so we should have a much better idea of their impact this time.

    I truly hope that all goes well.

    There is also a significant knock on impact for sports stadia, with this stage of the government's roadmap, as one of the major reasons for limiting numbers inside stadia is fans filling pubs. How safe, or not, the reopening of pubs proves to be could have a significant impact on how many will be allowed into Valley Parade and other sports stadia.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Storck

    Storck Squad Player
    P.L. 18/19 Entrant

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    22,588
    Likes Received:
    16,952
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Bantamsteve likes this.
  6. Aaron Baker

    Aaron Baker Impact Sub

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2018
    Messages:
    2,462
    Likes Received:
    2,952
    I hadn't seen anything at all about how well the deal with it but I'd kinda taken a "no news is good news" approach as i was damn sure we'd have heard about it if there was any evidence based indication whatsoever that they didn't.

    I suppose the follow up therefore is if there's no evidence that the vaccines aren't working on the new variants do we really need to wait for the first (of many) boosters? As @Storck@Storck correctly points out we're ordering more of the same anyway rather than focusing on 'new and improved' so all the signs are good so far.
     
  7. Storck

    Storck Squad Player
    P.L. 18/19 Entrant

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    22,588
    Likes Received:
    16,952


    The issues that crossed my mind regarding the boosters is that

    a) only one dose each
    B) does this mean each shot only lasts about 6 months. In which case the boosters will be never ending
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. StaffordBantam

    StaffordBantam Captain
    Moderator P.L. 20/21 Entrant Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    2,558
    Likes Received:
    4,113
    I think that the expectation is that it will be a single dose and we are hoping/expecting that these will last for a minimum of 12 months.

    Testing and trials are ongoing which will, hopefully, answer these questions.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Storck

    Storck Squad Player
    P.L. 18/19 Entrant

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    22,588
    Likes Received:
    16,952
    The boosters that they are planning to use are the standard Pfizer jab though, nothing new or enhanced
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Edin Nowhere

    Edin Nowhere Fringe Player

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    914
    Likes Received:
    1,216
    The autumn increase was down to School and Universities going back, hospitality has been scapegoated throughout because they are an easy target and yet we see these MPs posing for picture with a pint making it out that they care. There has been literally no evidence presented that shows pubs were a major catalyst for an increase in rates, infact the hoops they had to jump through to open made them very safe.

    What you get if you scapegoat a section like that is people just going into each others houses instead, unrestricted and once the "rules" are broken then whats another breaking of the rules on top.

    I went to a number of pubs and restaurants last year and I felt safer in there than having to navigate myself down a supermarket isle with people literally walking and leaning over you to grab something from the shelves as they can't wait 5 seconds.

    There were no pubs open in the run up to christmas in the very places where the virus was spreading like crazy, however people were out doing christmas shopping with very little in the way of restrictions in the retail sector.

    Btw Asda the week leading up to Mothers day round the card, gifts and flowers was like trying to exit the kop near the North West corner after a game.
     
    bantamdave41, RCarol and Jayteebee like this.
  11. StaffordBantam

    StaffordBantam Captain
    Moderator P.L. 20/21 Entrant Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    2,558
    Likes Received:
    4,113
    They are looking at all sorts of options, from the existing vaccines that work well against the variants to adaptions of existing vaccines. Clearly the existing vaccines are 'ready to go', so that may well be what we go with, at least to start with.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. bantam65

    bantam65 Regular Starter
    Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    2,620
    Likes Received:
    2,054
    Is it a big bridge?
    With towers by any chance?
     
    Storck likes this.
  13. Aaron Baker

    Aaron Baker Impact Sub

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2018
    Messages:
    2,462
    Likes Received:
    2,952
    A very big bridge, Just outside of Manhattan. You interested? :joy:
     
    bantam65 likes this.
  14. Edin Nowhere

    Edin Nowhere Fringe Player

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    914
    Likes Received:
    1,216
    I see the UK government have invited an Indian delegation to the G7 meeting who are the current epicentre of the Covid crisis in the world at the moment and not part of the G7 anyway. Well 2 members of the delegation have tested positive for Covid 19.

    We have small businesses jumping through hoops to survive and a government inviting people from the worst affected areas of the world for a meeting that could take place via video link, ffs.
     
  15. Bronco

    Bronco Star Player
    P.L. 20/21 Entrant Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    24,525
    Likes Received:
    22,738
    Is it by invitation or just that its being held in the UK this time around, I wouldn't think its down too the host nation to give out invitations, I could be wrong ?.
     
  16. Edin Nowhere

    Edin Nowhere Fringe Player

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    914
    Likes Received:
    1,216
    Well we now have the idiotic scenario of the meetings taking place in our country via a video link whilst the Indian delegation is in isolation.

    I think I will go visit a client's premises and then ring them for a chat whilst I am sat outside in the car.
     
  17. trevor

    trevor Squad Player
    Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2018
    Messages:
    3,139
    Likes Received:
    4,279
    Think they are the Trumps formula, Only given once ever!!! :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Bronco

    Bronco Star Player
    P.L. 20/21 Entrant Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    24,525
    Likes Received:
    22,738
    So is it the UK who did the inviting of not that's the point.
     
  19. Edin Nowhere

    Edin Nowhere Fringe Player

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    914
    Likes Received:
    1,216
    India, Australia, South Korea and South Africa have been invited as guests as the UK tries to deepen ties with the Indo-Pacific region.

    Sounds like the UK invited them, but it is not clear and Boris isn't going to admit it anytime soon.

    However Boris doesn't seem to think getting people to meet in person rather than virtually is an issue.

    Asked whether holding the G7 meeting in person was a mistake because of the risk of Covid variants, Boris Johnson said it was "very important to try to continue as much business as you can as a government".
     
  20. Bronco

    Bronco Star Player
    P.L. 20/21 Entrant Supporter

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Messages:
    24,525
    Likes Received:
    22,738
    I think there's is a little political bias in there @Edin Nowhere@Edin Nowhere, I'd say inviting the likes of India, Australia, South Korea and South Africa is a great move for the UK as you say, "as the UK tries to deepen ties with the Indo-Pacific region".
     
    Aaron Baker likes this.

Share This Page